Okay, I just felt like with Summer coming to a close, it would be great to share some sunburn after-care tips with the tumblrverse. Considering the serious risk for skin cancer a sunburn can pose, it’s always smart to wear sunscreen (duh, right?) but occasionally, we all forget or throw caution to the wind. Then what? AFTER-CARE, of course!
1. Vinegar is your friend. There are some people I know that love milk for sunburns— I can’t judge the effectiveness of that personally, but I know that bathing in vinegar definitely helps. The reason? Vinegar acts as a gentle antiseptic, washing away harmful bacteria that can collect on the burnt skin (which is equivalent to a wound, mind you). It’s gentle enough that it doesn’t burn, but it takes away the stinging pain (always a plus!) and calms the raging redness. BONUS: I have terrible breakouts all over my body, and after adding about 3 cups of vinegar to my bath, my body breakouts cleared up!
2. Never diss ibuprofen! It’s definitely integral to healing from a sunburn. Anything that reduces swelling is good, because your skin is a living, breathing organ, and ITS BURNT. Of course your skin is going to ache and swell.
3. Aloe, aloe, aloe. Aloe is great because it’s a gentle moisturizer. Pure aloe is the best, but if you can only get that crazy colored gel from the local drugstore, then try to choose one with menthol and lidocaine. The menthol cools, while the lidocaine numbs the skin to relieve pain for a little while.
4. Natural fabrics.Try to wear only natural fabrics that breathe, like linen and 100% cotton. Do not wear blends, or anything with polyester. Your skin cannot breathe, PLUS those fabrics are irritating to the skin. Natural fabrics that allow good airflow will help the skin to heal itself.
5. Sleep naked. If possible, avoid wearing pajamas to bed and let your skin breathe naturally. If this isn’t possible, see #4. Natural is always better.
and last, but not least,
6. Stay hydrated. Your skin doesn’t just need topical hydration, it needs internal hydration. Back to your skin being the largest organ, it needs proper hydration to be able to heal itself. Drink water. Yes, WATER. I promise, it helps.
Take care of yourselves, guys, and enjoy the last few weeks of SUMMER. <3
remember: if you’re attending a school that gives you a .edu email address, you can upgrade your amazon.com account to prime for free by going on and choosing the college/student membership. that means you get the prime 2-day shipping and even some textbook discounts (not to mention AFAIK you enjoy the amazon instant access for free for the duration of your edu email being active)
well at least someone is looking out for students
"You’re only given one little spark of madness. You mustn’t lose it." - RIP Robin Williams, July 21, 1951 - August 11, 2014